Monday, March 17, 2008

Oh yeah, St. Patrick's Day

St. Patrick's Day is a bigger deal around here than some places. One in four people in this part of the world are of Irish descent. That's a lot of Colleens and Kellys, Patricks and Brians.

I don't feel any special attachment to the holiday. We're not even part Irish, the term "boiled dinner" doesn't conjure anything particularly tasty to me, and kelly green isn't my favorite shade. The Bean did put her bright green shirt on today, but had to change because it got dirty before school. Oh well.

However, I am totally on board with this:

Also, thanks to Wikipedia, a few things about St. Patrick's Day are in the you-learn-something-new-every-day category for me. I didn't know that Saint Patrick used the shamrock to help explain the Holy Trinity to pre-Christian Irish folks, and I didn't know that Montserrat, the little Caribbean island with the active volcano, is the only place in the world other than Ireland and parts of Canada to celebrate St. Patrick's Day as a public holiday.

Montserrat, go figure. I wouldn't mind spending St. Patrick's Day down there. Beats the hell out of March in New England.

Anyway here's hoping you had a joyous St. Patrick's Day if that's your thing, and a joyous regular ol' day if it isn't.

2 comments: