Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Finished.

Mr. Sandy and I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows the other night. (I'd been reading a chapter a night aloud at bedtime, and in hindsight it is clear that I have J.K. Rowling to blame for some of my recent fatigue.)

What an amazingly good, rich set of stories this has been. I feel a little bereft. They are there to reread of course, but still.

I love best the details -- the characters' wonderful names, the odd plants and magical creatures, the owls, the secrets of Hogwarts, the charms and potions and devices. Portraits and portkeys. Howlers and gillyweed and blast-ended skrewts.

And I have questions! There are loose ends -- what happened to...? How did...?

I need to see the deleted scenes!

Ah well. Though I'm sorry the saga is over and I'll miss that first-time reading experience, I'm so glad that I didn't ignore this series first as kid stuff, then as an overhyped popular culture phenomenon. It's more than both those things.

Well done, Ms. Rowling, well done indeed.

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, I loved these books. Deathly Hallows was an excellent read. I don't now how you managed to restrain yourself to one chapter a night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read any HP books mesel

    But I shall forever be in J K Rowlings debt for the way she taught both of my kids the 'Joy & Delight' of reading.

    And the great thing is, those books are gonna keep on teaching kids the 'Joy' of reading for years to come

    Three cheers for JK say I

    ;-)

    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just finished it? How did you stop at a chapter a night? I couldn't stop turning those pages. And I made sure to read the whole thing right away, just to ensure that no one ruined it for me!

    ReplyDelete