Monday, April 14, 2008

GAAAD I'm cranky.

The other morning, Mr. S. noted how I used to get up before him and generally need less sleep than he does, but that lately I've stayed in bed until he's out of the shower, sometimes longer.

"Well, there's no point in getting up any more," I said.

He thought I was joking, though he didn't get why it might be funny.

I wasn't joking - I was barely even exaggerating. And it isn't funny. There really is no point. All I need is to make a recording of the things I say any given day, then the next day, just set it to start playing throughout the house at some preset time. Given some easily accessible peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, it wouldn't make the slightest difference to the girls if I stayed in bed for most of the week, because all I really do with my time is tell them to pick stuff up off the goddamn floor. A recording can do that.

Feh.

Today -- Monday, usually the best day of the week -- Mr. S. drove to work with both booster seats in his car. What usually helps me out of a bitter funk is to change context, get somewhere else for a while. But I'm stranded here, as sure as if my own car weren't right before my eyes. I hate sharing cars, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.

And, my head hurts.

So, Plan A was to take the girls out for breakfast and do some grocery shopping, but Plan B is to mainline Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate and take a nap.

Mommy doesn't feel very good.

On the other hand, it is damn near impossible to stay cranky in the Peanut's company. She is amazingly cheerful, really almost all the time. I think some people are born with that; I wish I had been, too. It will certainly serve her well in this world. I've been watching her out the window as I type. She disappeared out of the yard... BIG no-no... went to the neighbor's yard. Hm. I called her back from the front door, in a Mommy is Not Pleased voice. Back she came, as fast as her little legs could manage it. I scolded her firmly for leaving the yard; that's one of our safety rules. "OK," she said, then, arm outstretched, "For you, Mommy." She'd brought me a flower. A dandelion, because picking other flowers is Not Okay, but a flower nonetheless. Sniffle!

OK. Plan C is to plop that Peanut in my lap and read the latest pile of library books.

I'm sure to need the Ghirardelli when the Bean gets home from school and they start bickering again.

5 comments:

  1. I resorted to Nutella on English muffins. Worked pretty well to alleviate the Mood. For about five minutes.

    Hang in there. It has to get better. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, Nutella. That's going on the shopping list. Maybe it's just as well I couldn't go anywhere today.

    This, too, shall pass...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been able to go anywhere for a while. Not during the day, at least. My husband's car is in the shop, getting fixed up for him to leave for SC next week (already?!) so he's been taking mine to work. Girl and I did "go walkies" to the bakery yesterday, but it's not quite the same. She wanted desperately to go to McDonalds (ugh), despite my repeated explanations of our lack of a car. My hub came home for lunch and says "Well you could take the bus." Uh huh. I've lived here 9.5 years, I still haven't figured out the bus system. I replied that I didn't have a car seat for her to use on the bus and he told me that you don't need one on the bus. Well, that just doesn't sound safe to me. We'll stick to walkies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had days just like that. This too shall pass, but it's so hard when you feel like crap and you still have to take care of the kids.

    Sounds like you are making the best of it though. Sometimes a cheerful kid is just what it takes...I know I have one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh... I've had the same problem, getting out of bed these days. Wonder if it's a seasonal thing or something... Anyway, hang in there! Hope today was better!

    ReplyDelete