Sunday, July 29, 2007

Everyone talks about the weather, but...

...you know what I think? After years of quiet suspicion, I'm going to type it out loud: I think the summer weather forecasts here on Cape Cod are fucking LIES. I don't think they just get it wrong, I think they deliberately lie, to make people think summer on Cape Cod is constantly delightful. (In fairness, it is even worse everywhere else.)

Today for instance. A high temperature of 81F -- lovely, right? -- was forecast on the local news station (more rants about that bunch of morons are forthcoming) this morning. Well it was over 90 in the shade before noon, folks. And that happens routinely, every summer. I know, because my mood turns to poison (yes, I'm aware) when the temperature is over 90 in the shade and the humidity is so high that merely breathing outdoors is unpleasant. So I keep an ear out for forecasts like that. And they NEVER HAPPEN. Yet winter forecasts don't have that problem... when they say it's going to be in the 20s, it generally is.

It's a conspiracy, I tell you.

Must I do my own weather forecasting, too? Is there NOTHING IN THIS WORLD I can reliably leave to other people to do properly?

Signed,
Hot and Bothered, with Control Issues

1 comment:

  1. It's not just the Cape. The weather prognosticators out here don't know their asses from their elbows, near as I can tell. Yesterday, the forecast was partly sunny in the morning with scattered showers late in the afternoon. You know what it did? Torrential downpours, complete with thunder and lightning, starting at 7 a.m. and not letting up until around 2:30. The afternoon was simultaneously sunny and pouring rain. It was weird. Nice, but weird.

    So, yeah, I'm with you on the lying weather people. I think it must be a requirement in order to do the weather anywhere in MA.

    ReplyDelete