Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Independence Day

Happy Independence Day, fellow Americans!

This year's 4th of July brought the SandyShoes family a bit of everything: picnic, fireworks, small town parade, birthday party bbq, the whole nine yards. We have one tired Bean and one tired Peanut, long since fallen asleep to the distant strains of the neighborhood party band playing "I'm a Believer." From here it sounded like the version at the end of "Shrek," but hey, it's all good.

Part-serious person that I am, I do take a moment on the Fourth to revisit the Declaration of Independence, and consider the risk the men took who put their names to it. Had Britain laid hands on them (and at the time, it often looked more likely than not) they'd have surely been hung. It must've been terrifying, but exhilarating. Can you imagine?

What would you be willing to die for?

2 comments:

  1. Don't you wonder what you would have done had you been in that time and place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do (setting aside that as a woman I'd not have been allowed to participate).

    It's very hard to say. Of course I'd like to think I'm the kind of person who stands up for What Is Right no matter the potential cost. But I'm lucky enough never to have had my life on the line to test that.

    ReplyDelete