Friday, August 17, 2007

Pet Peeve

I like dogs as much as the next guy. No more, if I'm totally honest, but no less. Doggies can be fun. They can be cute. They can be good friends. They can be good for our health, they can protect and defend us, they can even save lives.

They can also shit all over the damn place. And many of them appear to be owned by people who don't give a shit about the shit, so to speak. I hate that.

Please do not let your dog shit at the beach*, and then neglect to pick up after it. Hello? People lie on the beach. Children dig in the sand. They can get very seriously sick from touching dog poop.

Same goes for the playground, for the sidewalk, for my yard, for Chrissake. Did you think I wouldn't notice? That I wouldn't care?

I often see people walking their dogs, toting a plastic bag for the inevitable chore. I stop and thank those people for making the effort, and they say "you're welcome." I think most dog owners are probably considerate about it. So what's the matter with the rest of them?


*By the way, what part of "No Dogs Allowed May 15 - Sept. 15" is unclear? Don't like the law, then take it up with the town. But it IS the law, until it isn't.

2 comments:

  1. Hello sandyshoes!
    I quite agree with you about dog shit. What really pisses me off are the people who take a little plastic bag with them scoop up the mess, tie the bag up and then chuck it in the hedge. Honestly I would rather them leave the shit, as at least that is biodegradable, not like the plastic bag.

    I have a very beautiful (well fairly beautiful) border collie. She always uses the garden and goes before we go out. I am trying to train her to use the compost heap, but no, she has her favourite places. At the moment it's behind a hydranga!

    By the way, I met you at wordimperfect!

    Lorenzo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am honored to have a llama comment on my humble blog. I read somewhere that llamas are psychic. Is it true?

    I have yet to encounter plastic bags of dog shit thrown in the hedge or equivalent. That will really set me off something fierce. The latest dog shit mystery is whose pooch is being allowed to poop in the middle of the street in front of my neighbor's house. The middle of the street. What the?

    I'm told border collies are especially smart. They're just the right doggie size, I think.

    ReplyDelete