Monday, August 27, 2007

You (yes, *you*) are the Peanut Gallery.

In talking with people about blogs, blogging, and this blog, I've been made aware that it wouldn't necessarily be talking down to people to explain the bit about commenting.

If you browse blogs, you'll often see a link that says "[some number] comments" beneath each post. Bloggers sometimes call 'em something else -- mine currently says "0 shouts from the peanut gallery." Click on it. You'll see that some readers have left comments about the post, and sometimes it can lead to whole conversations being had between commenters, and friendships between people who've never met. The Internets are cool like that. Famous bloggers get hundreds of comments on each of their posts. Unknown hacks such as I get a couple here and there, and savor each one :).

The famous blogger I linked to has an amusing, sometimes even laugh-out-loud funny blog (the downside: it runs to the self-congratulatory). Oddly, he has banned me from leaving comments. (You'll have to take my word for it that I'm not one to make obscene, threatening or otherwise ban-worthy comments. My story, and I'm sticking to it, is that There Must Be Some Mistake.) Which brings me to another point about commenting: bloggers can disallow comments entirely on certain or all of their posts. Some blogs allow anonymous comments, others don't. Some bloggers preview, or moderate, comments on their blogs before allowing them to appear to all readers. Others don't bother.

I allow everything. So far, so good.

So comment away, beloved Peanut Gallery. It's cool to hear from you.

7 comments:

  1. The Dilbert guy banned you? It's because you said Life In Hell was better. You should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but I said that on my blog, not his. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life In Hell IS better than Dilbert. Hands down. I'm impressed, though - I've never been banned from a blog.

    I love getting comments but I try hard not to be a comment whore - I only say something if I really have something to say. I don't want to become one of those "Me, too!" commenters. They're a bit too sycophantic for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel! I get allot of visitors but people don't leave comments.

    They don't have to be funny, they can just say "Hi!" or "I liked your post!" or "You suck!" I'll even be happy with that...!
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A pox on his blog...I just found my Life in Hell postcard book the other day. I've loved them since college, when they were still more popular than The Simpsons.

    Maybe I'll see if I can get booted, too. I have been banned from a trivia chat room; I've got a record!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I moderate comments, just because I get blogspambots or whatever the heck they are called posting almost real sounding comments that link to commercial sites.

    But I pretty much let every comment with a real person behind it go through.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for people to know.

    ReplyDelete