Monday, December 17, 2007

Leader of the Band

Hey, Dan Fogelberg died Sunday (advanced prostate cancer). He was only 56.

While I wasn't a huge fan of his music, I do remember his album Phoenix was one that my parents deemed acceptable for me to own as a young teen. (They confiscated Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run, and left me with Dan Fogelberg's Phoenix. Which lyrics do you think I know by heart, to this day? Parents can be so stupid.)

I just listened to snippets of it on Amazon.com. Brought back memories of youthful angst.

RIP, Dan. RIP, youthful angst.

8 comments:

  1. It's true... and sad. He seemed like a good person.

    I edited the post to add the link to his site, www.danfogelberg.com. The announcement is under the "news" tab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Netherlands" was the theme song to my sentimental freshman year - oh, weep. I even considered having "Longer" sung at our wedding. (In hindsight, it's best we left that one on the album.) Still, "Auld Lang Syne" won't be the same....

    Here's to the second Leader of the Band.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right... Leader Jr., I should've titled it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard about his death about as soon as it had happened. I was really saddened by it. I forever associate his "Leader of the Band" with my own dad, and we played it at his funeral. And "Another Auld Lang Syne" is one I always listen to if I happen to catch it on the radio. But "Longer," um, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard "Longer" at just about every wedding I went to for years, so that song got very old, very fast.

    But, I had all his albums and even loved the one he made with Tim Weisberg, "Twin Sons from Different Mothers."

    I saw him in concert once and he irritated me by telling the crowd that he was not going to sing "Leader of the Band" if they weren't completely silent. But, we did it.

    And that is a LOT, considering I was really, really stoned.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, "Twin Sons of Different Mothers" was EXCELLENT.

    And don't you hate it when performers get snarky with the audience? I heard Bruce Springstreen was a real killjoy when he toured a year or two ago. Ingrates.

    ReplyDelete